Wednesday, May 6, 2015

I bought more than friends.

Going into college, I was about 99% sure I did not want to be in a sorority. I bought into the idea that joining a sorority was paying for friends. "I don't need to pay for friends. I can make them on my own." I was under the impression that Greek life was just a bunch of spoiled, self-absorbed people who were more concerned with letters on their t-shirts and which fraternity party to go to, than anything else. I did not want to be sucked into this world. But here I am, and I couldn't have been more wrong. I am so thankful that God's plan was so much greater than my own. 

My mom was the only reason I went through recruitment. She wanted me to join a sorority because it was something she wished that she could've done, and she didn't want me to have the same regret. She told me, "You're doing it." And there were no questions asked. (If you knew my mom that shouldn't surprise you) I was not very excited about it at first, but it began to grow on me. The new clothes that I bought for recruitment helped put a smile on my face. Once I accepted the fact that I was going to do it, I began to get more excited with each passing day. The weekend before recruitment started, my mom was in the hospital for severe headaches. She had cancer, and that weekend we learned that it had spread to her brain. After that diagnosis, I decided I was not leaving her side. There was no way I was going to leave her for an entire week. But then again, if you knew my momma, you know she wouldn't have it. I tried to tell her I didn't want to go. I wanted to stay with her, but she told me, "Oh yes you are! You're going." Then again, there were no questions asked. 

All I have to say is, "Momma knows best." Especially my momma. That week was one of the most fun weeks. I had a blast, and of course my momma knew I would. After each party, I ran to my phone to let Momma know how it went, and together we talked about which ones were the best. It was like she was going through it with me. I don't know who was more excited. Finally the end of the week rolled around, and I was torn between two sororities. They had been my favorites all week long and I had no idea how I was going to choose. Thankfully I didn't have to. God chose for me. The morning of Pref Day I opened my schedule to find that only one of my favorites invited me back. Yes, I was a little upset at first, but then again who likes rejection? But after attending the party at ADPi on Pref Day, I knew that God answered not only my prayer, but my momma's. On Bid Day 2014, Alpha Delta Pi became my home. When I opened my letter and saw those letters on that paper, I knew that they were so much more than just Greek letters. ADPi was my new family. I couldn't wait to share the excitement with my mom. I'm so thankful that God gave my momma the strength to share one of the greatest days of my life with me, and gave me a memory that I will forever cherish. 

ADPi has become more than a group of friends that my parents paid for. It really is, excuse the cliché, a sisterhood. It gave me a family that I didn't know I needed. One week after Bid Day, my mom lost her 8 month battle to a very aggressive cancer. Losing my mom flipped my world upside down. She was my best friend and my rock, but because of her support and God's plan, I gained 200 new friends who supported my through that time even though I barley knew them. They flooded my phone with encouraging texts and scriptures. A few sisters brought food to my house for my family, and on the night of my mom's visitation a line of about 20 of my sisters walks in. Let me remind you, I had only known these girls for a week, some I hadn't even met. They overwhelmed me with love and support, showing me the true meaning of sisterhood. 

ADPi gave me not only a great freshman year, but a group of best friends that will last a lifetime. These girls have gotten me through it all. Together we endured the painful awkwardness of swaps. We learned to swing dance (which is a must in college).We celebrated Christmas with autographed pictures and burt Christmas cookies. We rode bikes down 30A for spring break and ended our nights with Gossip Girl marathons. And who can forget the countless movie nights? But most importantly they were there in the hard times. They flooded my house with gallons of ice cream and candy after a break up. They sent encouraging scripture during the weeks that I had 4 tests and a paper due. They were the first to point me toward Jesus on the weeks I didn't know if I could make it through. My sisters in ADPi are the biggest blessing I have ever received. I am so thankful that God's plan was so much greater than my own. I have made memories this year that will last a life time and I owe it all to  God and my sisters in ADPi. Thanks for a great freshman year. I can't wait for next year. 

We live for each other and for Alpha Delta Pi


If you are an upcoming freshman and are on the fence about going through recruitment, my advice is do it. You'll gain so much more than a few friends. It's more than new t-shirts, socials, and formals (even though those are great too). You'll find your home, not just for college but for the rest of your life. Take it from a girl who wanted nothing to do with Greek life. It will be the best decision you have ever made. You will not regret it.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to help you, not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment